Wednesday, September 2, 2009

3-Egg Honey Wheat Bread



I know this teenaged girl, the Amazing Miss A.; she gave me the recipe in this post (and takes my calls whenever I need advice on tweaking it). She--amazing girl that she is--makes this bread every Friday for her family's Sabbath meal. She has also been known to turn the dough into delicious cinnamon buns. I believe the dough can be frozen and baked later (of course, I'd have to call Miss A to check for sure).



Her recipe includes these ingredients:
3/4 cup water
3 eggs
3 tbsp melted butter
1/3-1/2 cups sugar (I use part honey, part sugar)
1 tsp salt
4 1/4 cups flour (half white, half whole wheat)
1 tbsp yeast




She and I both use a breadmaker to make the dough. I add the ingredients in the order they're listed and put it on the dough setting. When you take the dough out of the breadmaker, you need to let it rise again until it's doubled in size (about 2 hours). Miss A braids it into challah first, but I just put half in a loaf pan and plop the other half down on a baking sheet as dinner rolls.

Once it's had time to rise, I brush the top with egg yolk (making it, really, a 4-egg bread), bake it in a pretty hot oven (around 400 degrees) until the top is golden brown. For a loaf, that's about 20 minutes.

You could make it without a breadmaker (and I did until Boyfriend's mom so generously bequeathed hers to me). Just mix the yeast and the water (make it warm) in a small bowl, mix the other wet ingredients in a large bowl, add the dry, then add the yeast mixture. Let it rise for about an hour, knead, and let it rise again for a couple hours. Then you would just bake it like I did. It's much easier in a breadmaker, but your arms get a nice workout if you do it the old-fashioned way.

I made this bread a couple days ago, and it's already gone. I'm also about to make my third jar of peanut butter since I posted about it. Read: Boyfriend is eating a buttload of peanut butter sandwiches. I hate to even check my jam reserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment